Saturday 8 November 2014

Award Winning..

Every July the market town of Driffield -Capital of the Wolds no less! has an agricultural show. Driffield Show, possibly not the most imaginative at name but it leaves no room ambiguity, has been running a long time. A little Googling tells me the 2014 show was the 139th show and I found an article about  a tug of war at the 1859 show, so obviously it's been running a lot of years. I actually went to school in the town and recall the kids are allowed the day off to go to it. Given the once a year choice between the show and school I've been a few times myself, a young me may have even scrambled through a hedge once or twice to avoid the entry fee.. It's basically an agricultural show, if you want to look at tractors, combine harvesters, 4x4 school run behemoths and livestock it's the place to be, there's also a beer tent which tends to prove surprisingly popular.

In my teens I actually worked on the show myself a couple of times, once spending a week doing various site maintenance jobs like painting the clubhouse, raking cut grass and pretending to pick up litter, aged 16 I drove a tractor on the site -although I probably wasn't supposed to, and one year I worked on the gate separating attendees from their money.

As well as the agricultural machinery and vehicles there's a few other events at the show include a livestock show, a pet show, some sort of horsey event and, the reason I'm mentioning the show in the blog, Beverley Beekeepers' Association's annual Honey Show. 2014 was their third year of holding the show. There's 14 different categories including extracted honey, honey in combs, candle making, baking, photography and a category for pretty much everything else Display of Hive and/or Honey related items. It's quite a broad category including mead, polish and cut comb. As I had some stock knocking about I submitted a few things to this category. I didn't manage to attend the show myself unfortunately so was unaware of how my entries had gone. Turns out my lip balms came third in the Display category. :)

Lip Balm of Eminence.

I don't know how many entries there were but my balms were exhibit 91 so I figure there were more than three. There was a modest cash prize but really it's all about the prestige :) My lip balm adverts now include the words 'Award Winning' which I'm sure won't hurt sales.

No comments:

Post a Comment