Thursday 2 June 2016

Vintage Makery Do II

Not been posting much recently -been pretty busy with bees really. Some of my stock seem very swarmy and I'm thinking it's possibly due to the swarms I captured last year. Next time I catch swarms I'll possibly requeen them as soon as they're settled. Anyway on Saturday 7th May 2016 was the second Vintage Makery Do organised once again by the top notch Vintage Cafe on Chanterlands Avenue -the place for gluten free cake!.

As before it was in St Ninian's Church on Chanterlands Avenue. When I rolled up to set up my table the weather was warm and there was one of those vintage ice cream reverse tricycles outside selling gelato from Bellissima Delights. I planned to visit that later but didn't get round to it, shall have to watch out for it elsewhere in the city. Last time we'd

Looks like the right place
I've taken to using fruit crates to carrying my stuff about in. They're very robust and it turns out larger shops and supermarkets just dump them on the pavement till whenever they get picked up -handy to know if you're ever moving house.  I'd brought along Clear Honey, Set Honey, Lip Balm, Beeswax Polish and Propolis Salve. I had meant to bring Propolis Tincture too but seem to have forgotten that. I also brought along a Super full of drawn comb -one I'd let the bees clean up so it was dry. As well as providing a visual it was handy to help with explanations when people asked questions about the bees. To finish filling the table out I stuck a bee smoker in a corner of the table, the little one I got at the auction last month. Looking at the late Dave Cushman's encyclopaedic beekeeping site he identifies this style of smoker as having been made in England in the early twentieth century, there could be an antique under that red paint.

Made by the Bees and Me

To my left was A. Cockerill a chap who makes bespoke furniture. Well he seemed to make pretty much everything really, from egg cups and plates, to pens, tables, cupboards, cabinets and boxes and even the workbench and vice he used. The workbench looked like something out of Skyrim and was clearly more solid than my Work Mate.


Some of the same vendors were there as the previous one including Koh-Koh Chocolates which now has it's own website. Actually I bought a box of his wares just before things started, can definitely recommend them.

Some of the handmade items from Koh-Koh Chocolate

There was an interesting display from Uncouth Arts who had some textured pictures, sculpture and I think jewellery -I didn't get a photo but you can to visit the Facebook page for a look. Near to me was Granny's Toybox with a table full of hand knitted toys, painted decorations, candles and curios.

Hand painted items from Granny's Toybox
Once customers started wandering in it got pretty busy, sales went so well I ran out of change a couple of times, at one point gave a discounted tin of lip balm in lieu of coinage. When there was a lull I nipped over to A Cockerill's table and bought myself a wooden egg cup -I've kept chickens for years, it was about time I got a smart egg cup.As well as promoting local businesses the event was also to support charity. In total it raised £120 for Hull Animal Welfare so success all round!

No comments:

Post a Comment