Saturday 13 August 2016

Bee Sting under the Microscope

A few weeks ago I found a bee sting in my clothing and decided to pop it in the fridge for later. Having had a few minutes free recently I pulled out the microscope and took a few photos. Been doing a little reading up on microscopes and mine seems to be a Victorian Field Microscope which is probably why I couldn't find a USB port on it. The picture quality isn't great as it's pretty difficult to take a photo down a microscope anyway and the laser focus on my phone probably got thrown by the microscope being nearer than the object but after taking a lot of photos, deleting most and tweaking the best I made a composite showing three views of the sting. In the bottom left image I think you can make out a couple of the barbs, the little saw toothlike shapes on the lower left of the sting towards the end.

The business end of a Honey Bee under a microscope

No comments:

Post a Comment