Monday 20 June 2011

Water water everywhere

My garden contains two wildlife ponds. I made the first one to house frogs to control the slugs and snails and generally protect my plants. Why fight nature with pesticides when you can let nature do the job for you? I liked the first pond so much I made a second bigger one in the middle of the garden. They look nice and house a variety of plant and wildlife, this year I found young damsel flies drying their wings on the water soldier leaves.

Wildlife Pond2
There's also a small birdbath. It's about a foot across just over an inch deep and rather than the nice clean oxygenated water of the ponds tends to look a bit murky what with it being shallow, birds washing and crapping in it and the sun warming the water making it an excellent environment for all kinds of mould and grot, even the mosquito larvae in it look a little unhealthy as they fight to breathe through greasy matt meniscus. Anyway guess where the bees go to collect their water? The clear waters of the wildlife ponds or the murky shallows of the birdbath. Yep they choose the birdbath everytime.

Bee drinking the birds' bathwater

No comments:

Post a Comment