Saturday 9 July 2011

Progress/Problem in Hive2

I was feeding both hives up untill I supered hive1 then I stopped feeding it a week later. I figured hive1 could use the feed to help them draw new comb on the frames I'd put in. However I continued feeding hive2 whilst they built up their numbers. And build up their numbers they did. One day whilst replacing the feeder (got stung in the face! Ouch! Mental note to self: wear veil when feeding bees.) I realised that there were rather a lot of bees in the roof space above the crownboard. They weren't doing much just hanging about. It wasn't a massive leap of logic to realise the Brood box was full to capacity so I figured I'd better super the hive asap.

Oh in hive2 the bees had drawn all their comb really fast and made drone comb under the shallow frame as I'd hoped -this was the first time I noticed how different the two colonies were as hive1 was really dragging it's heels on drawing comb.

Anyway I ordered a national shallow, with frames and foundation -yeah I decided to go with shallows for actual honey production. I'll swap out the national frames somehow at some point but I'll figure that out later. I waited. I waited. I waited some more. The super took over 2 whole weeks to arrive. When it did arrive I got home from work and knocked the box together in a hurry, in the pouring rain. Was in such a hurry I managed to get one of the side's outer pieces on upside down -D'oh! Hasn't affected it's functionality all tho really, it's still beetight and still holds the frames level with the right amount of room below. When the rain finally let up I started treating the wood with green shed and fence paint like the rest of the kit, I had to keep stopping as the rain kept restarting. Eventually I put some cardboard on the dining table and brought the thing inside to paint it there. I gave it one layer then gave it a few hours to dry. The rain had finally gave up as darkness fell so I brought the box out gave it a second coat and popped it in an outbuilding to dry overnight. Then with a chiminea to keep me warm I assembled the shallow frames and inserted foundation finishing at 11pm which meant I could super the hive in the morning. Great!

So that's what I did. Unfortunately when I opened the hive I was unable to spot the huge fat queen with her big blue splot at all, I was also unable to see any eggs or uncapped brood. What I did see were these:

Queen cells
Four queen cells. They were halfway up the frame. I also noticed that my brood box which had been overflowing into the roofspace was now looking a little more roomy. I could be wrong but I reckon the bees probably realised they were too crowded and booted out the queen along with a cast swarm. There was no uncapped brood or eggs but still lots of capped brood on the frames. If only that super had arrived a little quicker, but it can't be helped and the bees seem to be handling it anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment