Saturday 27 July 2013

Lip Balm

Another day another product..

A couple of years ago a housemate suggested I make lip balm but at the time I wasn't interested in making my own range of cosmetics, afterall for me beekeeping is about woodwork, heavy lifting, huge numbers of potentially dangerous insects and burning stuff not faffing about with skincare products. However this year I made some propolis salve and found it was actually quite fun and it seems to have generated a lot of interest, the other day a friend sent me a link to a lip balm recipe. I gave it a quick look, it required beeswax, honey, almond oil and peppermint oil and didn't look particularly difficult. Well I had some beeswax sat doing nothing, I'd actually been flogging it very cheaply to a seamstress as I didn't have much use for it myself, I had some honey, the indian shop round the corner seems to sell every kind of edible oil you can think of and a few you wouldn't. I just needed some tiny tins and peppermint essential oil. After a few minutes on the internet I had them ordered and after a day's wait for delivery I was in business.



It wasn't too hard to make and didn't require much equipment. A glass jug to make it in, somethng to stir it with, a heatsource and some scales. I also used a syringe to measure it out. By happy coincidence 10ml of my lip balm weighed 10g. There's a lot of different tins to choose from but I opted for some round aluminium screwtops.

Fifty tins, filled, labelled up and ready to go.
As with the Propolis Tincture and Salve labelling was tedious. Each tin needed a label on the front and the back and then I added a price sticker too. I got almost right through Social Distortion's first album in the time it took to label them up. As before I used my bee picture and the same font as the alve and tincture so it looks good sharing shelf space with my other products.

Beeswax & Honey Peppermint Lip Balm

3 comments:

  1. could you please point me at the recipe, many trhanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there, yep I used this Snapguide:
    http://snapguide.com/guides/make-beeswax-and-honey-lip-balm/

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is an interesting post on lip balm. Looking forward to read more of this.
    Wholesale Lip Balm

    ReplyDelete