Tuesday 30 July 2013

Artificial Swarm is making progress

Just over a week ago I did an artificial swarm on Hive2 using a snelgrove board. Today I had a look in the top brood box to see what was going on.It was a little awkward due to the height and my frame perch didn't quite fit the side of my brood box. You might notice from the pic I've got handles on 4 sides of the box, the specification only calls for a slight recessed grip but it seemed a good idea to me. Afterall these things get heavy.


Going throught the frames I was able to see there were no eggs and no uncapped brood. That was good news as it meant I hadn't accidentally put the queen in there when I made the artificial swarm. If I had done she'd've been continuing to lay eggs in there. I also found a lot of queen cells. Also good news as it meant the young bees in there had spotted the absence of queen and started making a new one, I cut out all but two of the queen cells then removed the frame one of them was on leaving the other in place.

Supercedure Queen Cell
The queen cell I left in the AS should hatch and hopefully mate. Then I opened Hive2 to have a nosey. Those bees are getting a bit feisty, but at last they've started to work the super. I spotted a few supercedure cells in this hive too so I guess the bees aren't too hapy with their current queen's performance, I'm not ecstatic about the temprament of the hive either so after cutting out all the supercedure cells I found I put in the frame with a cel from Hive1. All being well that new queen will hatch, mate adn replace the original queen ..well that or the bees will kil her. Gonna have to wait and see..

No comments:

Post a Comment